Working Conversations Episode 49:
Outsmarting the Human Brain
“I want to leave my job and get the job I deserve!”
“I want to be in good shape by summer.”
“I want to go on the vacation of a lifetime.”
How many times have you said these phrases to yourself, but never really done anything about it?
If you’ve ever missed a goal, either at work or in your personal life, it might be because your human brain outsmarted you.
Yes, it’s funny how we humans are hardwired to seek pleasure, avoid pain, and put forth the minimum effort possible to achieve results. And most likely, we don’t take action at all.
I know you’ve been there, and I have too! That’s why in this episode, I am sharing the step-by-step formula that you can use to shift from pain avoidance towards pleasure seeking to get you to take action on what it is you want.
This formula will fill you up and keep you moving in the direction of your desires. It will also help you have the confidence that the small moves that you take will get you there.
Remember, when you take small actions, you set yourself up for future success Bite off more than you can chew, and you may feel the sting of defeat.
So, listen here or wherever you listen to podcasts. I wish you all the best in tapping into your own motivation and amping up your connection to the pleasure of the outcome you want and focusing on that instead of the pain of your current condition.
HERE’S WHAT WE’RE GOING TO DIG INTO IN THIS EPISODE:
- How to identify something you want that you are not taking action on.
- How to assess the perceived pain of taking action versus accepting the status quo.
- How to imagine the pleasure you will feel when you have what you want.
- How to take one small action in the direction of your goal.
- How to acknowledge yourself for the step you took and then re-imagine the goal completed.